My setup: Windows Server 2008 OS running on Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
SSD plugged in to spare SATA socket
It arrived with firmware 1.4
Downloaded OCZ Toolbox 3.02.14 from here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/
- Started the tool, it listed my ssd drive, clicked on it, it gave me it's details like model number, firmware version, etc
- Clicked "Tools" in the menu
- Clicked "Update Firmware" button
- Received a pop-up warning that it is a two step process, that it will require to shutdown and restart the PC
- Clicked OK
- It said "Downloading Everest firmware to the drive" then "Download Firmware Complete" then a pop-up "Firmware download successful, shutdown and restart computer to complete firmware update"
- Restart (very important step, remember it!)
- Start the toolbox again - and it still says version 1.4, no change here, nothing updated! ;(
It appears that "shutdown and restart" here means "shutdown, unplug, start again".
What worked: run the OCZ Toolbox, Shutdown, Unplug the power, Wait couple of minutes, Start the PC
Firmware was updated to 220.127.116.11. I repeated the process then to upgrade to firmware 1.5.
For me, both updates (1.4 -> 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 -> 1.5) were non-destructive, it didn't remove files from the drive. However, beware, you better backup your drive first!